Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:43:34 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        chrisc@vmunix.com, kris@obsecurity.org, libh@FreeBSD.ORG, op-tech@openpackages.org
Subject:   Re: PackageNG and OpenPackages

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 02:27:42PM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> Well, I'm not sure I'd use the word "assimilated" - you guys are
> sounding like the Borg now. :) Let's just say that we all hope some of
> its technology is relevant to other projects, both in whole or in
> part, and that both efforts manage to attract enough people to make
> this whole issue something of genuine relevance to our daily lives.

I think the best solution at this time is for the two projects to keep
each other in mind, but leave it at that.  For OP this means thinking
about package building in such a way that building package bundles other
then OP packages is plugable.  For example, what ever we might think
of RPMs there's some value in allowing someone to maintain a module
that lets you use the packaging framework to build them.  Or for that
matter, .deb packages or whatever MacOS X uses or (horror of horrors)
InstallShield packages for Windows.  We can and should maintain our own
package system (if for no other reasion then the fact that maintianing
thousands of packages in an integrated framework will give us insights
other's just won't have), but that doesn't mean we shouldn't support
other systems.

For PackageNG, this means keeping an eye on OP any lobbying for features
you need.  Once something more or less works, building a module for OP to
generate PackageNG packages.  If PackageNG lives up to its promise/hype
it seems likely OP could adopt it.  The two projects have a significant
intersection, but they aren't attacking the same problem.  In any case,
as Jordan says, two projects can well be better then one, especialy when
they attack the same problem space from different, but equaly legitimate
directions.

-- Brooks

--=20

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L