Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 15:40:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS server problems on 3.4-S, any interest?

On Mon, 22 May 2000 sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> > 	Yeah, I miss the blinky lights. I went to the x-over cable because
> > the hub I bought originally was giving me non-stop collisions under
> > load.
>
> It should be noted that a lot of collisions is *expected* under load.

	Yes, I'm not quite _that_ much of a neophyte. :) When I first set
those machines up the hub was fine, since I wasn't pushing a lot of
traffic through it. As soon as I started to experiment with the nfs,
samba, etc. it was clear that the hub wasn't cutting it anymore, and free
(I made the x-over cable from parts I had at hand) was better than $100+
for a switch. I'm going to be adding another machine to that network
though, so it's switch time now either way.

Thanks for the input (and to the others who've mailed me as well),

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire