Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2005 01:20:32 +0100
From:      Emanuel Strobl <emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Artem Kuchin <matrix@itlegion.ru>
Subject:    Re: Need really cheap IDE mirroring PCI controlled for FreebBSD 4.10

--nextPart1227150.hIlBkJMppP

Am Donnerstag, 3. M=E4rz 2005 10:23 schrieb Artem Kuchin:
> Gerald de la Pascua <geralddelapascua@gmail.com> wrote:
> > we have had very good experiences with the basic 3ware cards,
> > I would recommend them,  easy to install,  reliable, and good
> > perfomance, in the uk they cost just over 100 pounds,  so a similar
> > price to two
> > disks to plug into them.   When a disk fails  you would willingly pay
> > many times this amount,
>
> 3ware controllers are one of the most expensive ones. I am sure there
> are good controllers which cost a lot less and work with freebsd. Do
> you know any?

If you consider upgrading to 5.4 you can use any onboard chipset or cheap=20
controller card with some geomclasses, namely g_mirror. It's fantastic and=
=20
the only stateful mirror solution I know. And you can mirror only parts of=
=20
your disk, or mirror across 3 drives aso. The power of geom :)

=2DHarry