Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 16:15:32 +0000
From:      Dave Swegen <dswegen@allstor-sw.com>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Moving from 3.0 to 4.1

Hi! We're currently in the process of moving one of our products from
3.0 to 4.1, and it would seem that we also need to upgrade the install
kernel we use in order to cope with the switch from wd based device
names to ad based device names. The system we use currently is as
follows:

We use a bootp server which sends a kernel containing an MFS to the
device, which is mounted via vn0. The system in the kernel then partions
the HD, and requests tarballs which contain the system to be installed
on the HD.

The first problem we encountered was that the old 3.0 based system,
despite being given 4.1 bootblocks to use failed to mount / , as it
insisted on trying to mount a partiton on wd0, rather than ad0 (which
had been detected during boot), and of course stopped with a device not
configured failure.

We therefore decided to try using a 4.1 kernel, with the same settings.
Which is where we encountered the first problem. The "config kernel root
on vn0" line we used is now obsolete, and the closest thing in LINT now
is the 'options ROOTDEVNAME=\"mfs:vn0\"' line we are using at
the moment.

Add to this that MFS seems to have been replaced by MD (on which I can
find very little information), and life has suddenly
become...interesting :)

At the moment the install fails either after reading the kernel from the
bootp server, or fails to detect the server altogether.

Anyway, I would much appreciate any pointers on what I might be doing
wrong, and if any more information is required, let me know.

Cheers
	Dave