Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:29:35 -0400
From:      Luis Munoz <lem@cantv.net>
To:        Bo Fussing <bmf@gateway.net.hk>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cisco

At 02:53 PM 29/06/1998 +0800, Bo Fussing wrote:
[snip]
>> hello
>> this is not exactly related to freebsd, sorry but... :)
>> well I want to restrict my users to use port 80 to surf on the net,
>> instead I want them to use my proxy server at port 8080.
>> because I have limited bandwidth, also I just want to close port 80
>> for my users, the other people should be able on the outside should
>> be able to connect my proxy server.

I've run a shop like that for more than two years now. It's a pain in the
neck from the support point of view, as every time a luser downloads the
new browser of the week, will call you because it doesn't work!

If you're starting, please do consider transparent proxying. My understanding
is that it can be done in FreeBSD with now problem, though I've failed
to find a good example/tutorial/howto explaining the process.

You can use 'policy routing' on your cisco to divert web traffic to your
proxy, specially if you have little bandwidth. This also protects you from
the death of your proxy, which is another support nightmare.

>> also I want to do the reverse action to my un*x machines...
>> I do not want other people who are not belonging to my domanin
>> to be able to make telnet to my machines, but I want the people here
>> to be able to make telnet to their accounts outside...

For this, packet filters work real nice. You could also use tcp-wrappers,
which offer another layer of protection and provide for more logging, but
take a step at a time. You should take a look at secure shell.

Regards and good luck.

-lem