Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 12:01:53 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Chien-Ta Lee <jdli@linux.csie.nctu.edu.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [ANNOUNCE] kernel builder

> 	I am sorry for that, I said that no commercial use is for some
> 	CDROM sellers who will not respect your stuffs.
>
> 	FreeBSD core team are very welcome to use it (even put on cdrom),
> 	but if I were you, I will not do it, b'cos my script is very POOR.
> 	(first you will have to re-write it all)    :(

I didn't mean to get the impression that we didn't like your stuff,
far from it.  I was simply trying to make it clear that the "BSD"
copyright represents our ideal as far as copyrights are concerned,
and we see no reason to put "no commercial use" limitations on anything.

Sure, I understand your own motivation for doing so but we're also not
particularly worried about "CDROM sellers who don't respect our
stuff."  We would, of course, ALWAYS prefer that they respect our work
but to try to legally enforce it just ends you up with lots of code
with overly-restrictive copyrights on it! :-(

Your own little script is actually quite an inspiration, and I hope
that we can do an even fancier version that lets you "zoom" on
different devices when you want to edit their port/irq/drq settings
rather than just accepting the defaults.  It would also be nice if it
inherited the defaults from your previous kernel config file!

All of those features can be added to a more complex kernel-config
tool, and I'm sure that they will be, but you've at least shown that a
pretty credible job can be done the simple way too!  I was actually
fairly impressed with your little shell script..

					Jordan