Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 02:41:54 CDT
From:      "Chris Csanady" <ccsanady@iastate.edu>
To:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multihead XFree86 4.0 beta 3.9.15 working

Roger Hardiman wrote:

> Hi,
> You all may be interested in this.
>
> The first snapshot of XFree86 4.0 (ver 3.9.15) was released on the
> XFree86 web site a few days ago.  http://www.xfree86.org
>
> It supports Multi-Head X11 (ie 2 or more VGA cards in one PC).
> (which I current do with XiG's Accellerated X 4.1)
>
> I have a two PCI matrox cards
>   Matrox Millenium 4 Meg PCI
>   Matrox Millenium II 4 Meg PCI
>
> After a download, build, install session and some time
> spent crafting the right /etc/XF86Config file,
> I can report it all works great.

Really?  I have a Millenium 4M card, and I have not been able to get
it to work well.  First problem--I absolutely can not get *any* 4.x
version of netscape to run on it.  They all complain about the
locale/nls stuff, and give me a bus error.  If I could get this to
work, I could overlook the fact that the VidMode extension does not
apear to work right with fxtv.

Honestly, the only thing I really care about in 4.0 right now is the
gamma correction, which appears to work.  Actually, most everything
else appears to work, but I can not live without netscape. :(

Chris