Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 1995 12:11:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@wam.umd.edu>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks [RAID]

On Sat, 8 Apr 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> No, they just don't perform well.  The scsi command over head is high
> on them.  I am not sure if this applies to the 24F, but the 34F is a
> bus pig (it grabbs the vlb bus for long periods of time, locking out
> other interrupts :-().

That is very true, the card is a hog.  My ISA busmaster ethernet card
spews errors all the time during heavy disk activity.  The U24F has an
option in the EISA config which can help this (Maximum Bus Hold Time? or
something like that)... I think it's set to 500us(ns?) by default, You can
lower it to 250us(ns) which helps some.

Do you think that there is anything that can be done in the driver that
could help this?

Also, I know that U24F Bios Version 2.01+ has a lot of fixes in the
Scatter/Gather Code on the card.  Can someone with a card with 2.01+ Bios
give us some benchmarks please?

Sujal