Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:31:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, asmodai@wxs.nl, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /sys/boot, egcs vs. gcc, -Os

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, John Polstra wrote:
>
> > Chuck Robey wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for the clue, John!  As much as I hate redoing the KDE and
> > > gnome ports, it looks like doing that again ...
> >
> > I don't blame you.  I've never even built them, for the simple (lazy)
> > reason that they looked like they'd be too painful to upgrade.
>
> Bah, if the ports-tree can make building Gnome easy, it's hardly painful
> (and I know KDE is easy to build from tarballs).  It just takes a bit of
> patience.

If that were true, but it's not.  Older versions of the config files and
libraries can very easily cause the ports to fail to build.  Every time
I upgrade stuff, I have to go about doing search and destroy on old
stuff.  On top of that, there are various mistakes in dependencies;
there's one lib (I forget which) which installs under one name, but all
of the dependencies on it are under another name.  The stuff seems to
change it's mind on whether it wants to install under /usr/local or
/usr/X11R6, so finding stuff is pretty complicated, and very dependent
on version, because the darn install dirs change, just to make things
worse.

When Satoshi builds stuff, it's in a real clean environment, but in
fact, all the gnome and kde ports are extraordinarly sensitive to stuff
from older ports hanging around.  That's why folks are wary of upgrading
those guys.

The gnome stuff is really neat, else I'd never even bother.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).