Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 23:30:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adam Rocke <aro@ece2.engr.ucf.edu>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   device not configured error message

after having used linux and solaris for errors it hurts a little to ask a
"newbie" question but i'm glad you folks are available.

i'm doing some investigation of the BSDs for my own personal enjoyment.
i keep hearing good things so i figure i'll try it out for myself.

i've got a new hard drive so i figure now is a good time to try things
out but whenever i try to install i get "device not configured" errors
whenever the install gets to the point where drives are formatted and
packages are installed (it never is able to turn on swap either).  i've
tested many different partition configurations even letting freebsd use
the entire disk (and just the first couple of gig) to no avail.  i see in
the documentation a reference to such warnings but all i find is related
to cdrom problems.

at one point i was told we were experiencing problems with one of our cd
burners (the one i used) so i used a different burner to make another
copy in case it was a problem with the actual cd.  they both give the
same problems but i can't imagine what else i should fiddle with either
hardware wise or software wise.

any help/advice is greatly appreciated.  thanks.
Adam