Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:17:48 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        kpielorz@tdx.co.uk
Cc:        jason@intercom.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.2

> > What is a good way to monitor a process, and
> > restart if it dies?
>
> Probably to put a script run from the crontab that checks it say, every 5
> minutes then re-run's it if it's not running...?

If it is specifically BIND 8.x we're talking about, why not use the
method that Paul Vixie uses? I figure it's good enough for me if it
works for him.

To: Jared Mauch <jared@voyager.net>
cc: Jared Mauch <jared@puck.nether.net>, bind-workers@isc.org,
        Matt Holtz <mholtz@voyager.net>
Subject: Re: 8.2 rel core
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:35:55 -0800
From: Paul A Vixie <paul@vix.com>

> 	This was on our main production server...  I hastily loaded
> it too soon.

because bind does not gracefully deal with running out of virtual memory,
we run all of our production servers under this script, called keep-running:

#!/bin/sh
trap "" 1
sleep 60
while :; do
        /usr/sbin/named -f >> /var/log/named 2>&1 < /dev/null
        /usr/ucb/logger -p emerg "named restart"
        sleep 65
done
exit

> 	now if only people could run their nameservers... /sigh

actually we've been running this locally on all of our production machines
for weeks.  (and this bug can't affect nonrecursive servers like the roots).

> 	Will test with this patch.

thanks.