Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 20:08:58 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv question (request ?)

Joao Carlos Mendes Luis:
 |  I have now two sound cards in my computer.  (A GUS for quality,
 |a a SB16 for compatibility.  :)  )  I have used the gus line input
 |for SB audio mixing, and put the bktr output into the SB line input.
 |Now, how do I tell fxtv which mixer to use ?  Assuming /dev/mixer
 |as default is not bad, but is too limiting.

Ok.  So do you have:    TV Card -> SB Card -> GUS Card -> Audio out

I can make the mixer and dsp devices used by Fxtv configurable via rsrc.
Just one mixer and one dsp though :-)  Consider it on the my list.  (I'll
get back to working on fxtv some day.)

 |                                             Also, if I wanted to
 |use the internal CD audio cable instead of the external and noisy
 |line cable to get WinTV sounds into my sound card ?

Yeah, Luigi's made this request as well and it's on my list.  However, with
cascading sound cards like you are, I don't think quality difference
between external and internal will make any real difference.  (The Line In
on my SB32 is very low-noise BTW.)

 |line cable to get WinTV sounds into my sound card ?  And if I
 |had two bktr devices ?  Would it work ?  No, I'm not kidding.
 |I'm planning a box with two or three bktr devices.  :)
 |
 |  I don't have the fxtv 0.46 sources handy, but the 0.45 had these
 |all hardcoded.  Would Randall add the code to make those selectable
 |as Xresources ?  :)
 |
 |  BTW: Would the bktr driver work if I had two or more cards inside ?

Others have run with this combo before.  As Amancio mentioned, the driver
supports it.  To switch between them in Fxtv, use the deviceNumber X
resource or the -deviceNumber command-line option to specify which bktr
device to talk to.

Randall