Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:49:46 -0600
From:      Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2 RELEASE - Install hangs during boot (resolved)

>> I have a system (brand new, clean, never previously had anything
>> installed on it) on which 4.2 hangs during the boot sequence when I
>> try to install. The system is :
>>
>> Asus A7V MB
>> Matrox G400 dual head
>> IBM 45GB ATA100 Deskstar as primary master on the Promise ATA100
>> controler
>> CD rom drive as primary slave on the Primary IDE port
>> CPU: Duron 800
>> 256 MB PC133 ram
>> SB Live
>> Netgear FA310TX rev D2
>>
>> The ATA100 controller is detected, the hang point is always with the
>> last line as:
>>
>> plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0

The problem would appear to have been this:

For some as of yet unknown reason, the NIC was grabbing IRQ 7. By wiring
the NIC to IRQ 9 (which nothing else was using) in the bios, I was able
to enable the parallel port, and move on with life. The ATA100 controler
works flawlessly, the SBLive was no problem to make work, and I am just
as happy with 4.2 as I have been with any version of FreeBSD I've used.
Kudos to the developers, and many thanks to Jeffrey Mountin for helping
me work through this.

--
Drew Sanford
Systems Administrator