Date:      20 Jun 2003 09:38:49 +0200
From:      Eirik Oeverby <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI issues on ThinkPad T21 + Dock

--=-WqD4NmxSGjC2w+DEiZpf

Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 09:33:41AM +0200, Eirik Oeverby wrote:
>=20
>>- When booted with ACPI enabled (docked), the machine will at some point=20
>>simply power itself off. I have seen people complaining about similiar=20
>>machines powering themselves *on* after a power-off, but in my case it's=20
>>the opposite. Out of nothing, with no warning (that I can see), it=20
>>simply powers off. It's not suspend either, or hibernation or anything.
>=20
>=20
> Just a shot in the dark, but might it be heat? Most laptops/PCs
> turn themselves off to prevent them from overheating. Maybe ACPI doesn't
> turn on the fans when docked or something like that.

Nope, since this never happened before 5.1. I've been running 4.8 and=20
OS/2 on this machine before, always docked, and temperature was never an=20
issue. It's possible that ACPI in 5.1 does this - after all it has some=20
kind of thermal support, but I have tried to disable this and it makes=20
no difference.
Just to be on the safe side, would the following line in device.hints be=20
correct for disabling the thermal part of acpi?
debug.acpi.disable=3D"thermal"
I think it would be, because replacing "thermal" with "children" made my=20
system refuse to boot. No HW was detected ;)

/Eirik

--=-WqD4NmxSGjC2w+DEiZpf

--=-WqD4NmxSGjC2w+DEiZpf--