Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 18:00:40 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        dyson@freebsd.org
Cc:        hahn@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu (Mark Hahn), joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, groudier@iplus.fr, hackers@freebsd.org, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject:   Re: Unices are created equal, but ...

> How's about maintaining competition, and working to make the respective
> U**X clone better competitively.  Competition helps keep each party
> honest!!!

Just to make a general point here, and *not* to continue the flame war,
I think John's absolutely right.

Consider, for a moment, if FreeBSD or Linux were the only free
operating system.  Who would drive us?  The commercial vendors?
Unlikely, since we could simply escape that comparison by saying "hey,
we're free and they're not!"  With the current situation, there is
_significant_ motivation to not fall too far behind in contrast with
the other group - sort of like two brothers growing up where one can
run just a little faster than the other.  Each will be constantly
motivated to try and win the next foot race by pushing himself that
much harder, the loser being motivated in turn to redouble his
efforts.

I honestly cannot imagine a world where there was only one free OS to
choose from, and I think things have actually worked out far better
than I'd have even dared hope.

					Jordan