Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 95 21:45:03 MET DST
From:      phk@login.dknet.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   A good 4 port serial card

I know that it comes up at regular intervals what multiport serial cards
we support in FreeBSD.

Here is one I found.

It's a 16bit ISA card, with four ports.  Well built, good materials,
and high-quality as far as I can tell.

Connection is through a 37 pin D-shell connector on the back of the card,
they supply an octopus with 20 cm arms and good quality male 25 pin connectors
in the other end with the card.

There are four sockets, and they can take all the usual chips, including
a "16650" chip with 32 bytes fifo's and crtscts and xonxoff in HW.
We see that chip as 16550A and run happily on it, though we don't support
the advances features (yet :-)

Each port has a jumper-bank to select A9-A3 and "enable", and the
irq's can be steered to irq 2,3,4,5,7,10,11,12,14 or 15 for each channel.
Irqs can be shared, separate, or some mix.

Waitstates can be set to
	<= 8Mhz
	<= 12Mhz
	<= 25Mhz
	>  33Mhz

It works out of the box with this spec:

device sio4 at isa? port "0x2a0" tty flags 0x705
device sio5 at isa? port "0x2a8" tty flags 0x705
device sio6 at isa? port "0x2b0" tty flags 0x705
device sio7 at isa? port "0x2b8" tty flags 0x705 irq 5 vector siointr

As far as I can tell, they also have a version with twice the above on
one card, ie. 2 times four ports.

I bought mine from a Danish company:
	Danbit
	Vaerkstedsvej 39-41
	DK-4600 Koege
	Tel: +45 53 66 20 20
	Fax: +45 53 66 20 30

but the manufacturer is, according to their own ideosyncratic specification:

	Decision Computer International Co., LTD.
	4F No. 31 Alley 4, Lane 36, Sec. 5
	Min-shen East Road
	Taipei
	Taiwan R.O.C