Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 07:37:15 -0700
From:      pete@webnw.com
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS Just stops for PPP

We have been dealing with a similar situation for months without resolution.
It also hits randomly on our BSD/Apache virtual servers (2). On the virts it
will only effect Domains associated with IPs different from the host IP
address. We are using Livingston Portmasters and Cisco routers. RIP
protocols with routed on the BSD boxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>At 16:18 20/08/96 -0400, Paul Andersen wrote:
>>We have the strangest thing happening here (or so I think)...
>>
>>	Some of our PPP customers have had their DNS not work sometimes.
>>It happens to all customers at the same time and the customers PPP in
>>through a livingston box. The strange part of it is that the DNS server
>>(the FreeBSD 2.1 box) seems to be working to the machine. I can do an
>>Nslookup from the machine itself and it seems to be getting answers from
>>our servers. We normally have to HUP the named process a few times and
>>that clears it up. Any ideas?
>>

>Been there too, as a matter of fact: still am there. Especially with
>Macs I seem to have this problem a lot lately.
>I'd like to be included for any answers, please.
>
>Gunter
>  .    .__    . |Nationaal Centrum voor OntwikkelingsSamenwerking vzw, NgoNet
> _| _  [ __   | |Voice    Gunter.Loos@+32 2 5392620       Fax   +32 2 5391343
>(_](/, [_./(_|| |mailto:gul@ngonet.be "You are all weirdos."  - Sam the Eagle
>----MijnEigenWoordenNietVanIemandAnders - MyOwnExpressionsNotSomeoneElses----

Strength is Gentle, Wisdom Quiet, Passion Overwhelming

Net Connection/Pete Chiboucas	www.webnw.com
8888 SW Cashmur Ln              pete@webnw.com
Portland Or 97225               503 203 1671