Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:21:10 +0100
From:      lupe@lupe-christoph.de (Lupe Christoph)
To:        Tobias Roth <roth@asterix.unibe.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   freebsd-security-questions (was: Re: openssh 3.5 connection timeout)

On Monday, 2003-03-17 at 08:45:56 +0100, Tobias Roth wrote:

> Please do not direct application-specific questions to freebsd-security.
> Even if the application is related to security, freebsd-questions (or
> other lists) are the place to get help, not freebsd-security.

We had this discussion a while ago. There is no mailing list that
provides qualified answers to security-related questions. You are
fighting windmills. These questions will come to this mailing list, as
long as there is no freebsd-security-questions.

Sorry, I have no idea what needs to be done to start such a mailing
list. Can people more versed in the FreeBSD mailing list procedures
please explain how such a mailing list can be started?

> Also, please do not reply to offtopic questions. It will only encourage
> the sender to send more offtopic questions. If you would like to reply
> anyway, remind the sender that he or she sent an offtopic message and
> do not cc your reply to the mailing list, send it privately.

So that people who search the mailing list archives first be unable to
find the answer and send their question to the list anyway?

Lupe Christoph

PS: I have to admit that I'm always confused by the difference in
    policies between debian-security and freebsd-security. The Debian
    crowd welcomes all questions related to security while the freebsd
    crowd seems to be obsessed with policies.
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| Big Misunderstandings #6398: The Titanic was not supposed to be        |