Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:56:12 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Yamagi Burmeister <lists@yamagi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>
Subject:   Re: Juniper e3k with ports limitied to 100Mbit and re NICs on MSI MoBo: problems with duplex negotiation (Hetzner host provider discard FreeBSD support due this bug)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Yamagi Burmeister wrote:

>>  Very large and famous (due to very attractive prices) hosting
>> provider Hetzner.de discards FreeBSD support on dedicated servers,
>> because these servers can niot negotiate 100Mbit/DUPLEX when
>> switches' ports are limited to 100Mbit (1Gbit connection costs
>> additional money) only under FreeBSD. Linux works fine.
>>
>>  Switches known to be Juniper e3k series.

> I've got several Hetzner EQ4 and on all these machines FreeBSD 8.1 runs
> just fine. I've never seen this strange negotiation problem myself. But
> maybe I was just lucky and got working mainboard and nic combinations.
> So if further information is needed, I'm happy to provide it.

A lot of us do.  There is a problem with the re(4) setup as well in
that if you do not send packets out yourself the port takes a very
long time to come up and unblocked.  I haven't discussed that with
them or tested with an updated HEAD (since end of October).

But yes, I am running HEAD on an EQ4 as well.  If you have problems
and a personal email contact at Hetzner feel free to talk to me.
I am "local" (a couple of 100km away in the same country) and a FreeBSD
committer and I can probably figure things out with them or properly
proxy requests.

/bz

         <ks> Going to jail sucks -- <bz> All my daemons like it!
   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/jails.html