Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:04:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   [humorix] "Brown Orifice" Is Only The Beginning (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:00:33 -0500
From: James Baughn <webmaster@i-want-a-website.com>
To: humorix@nl.linux.org
Subject: [humorix] "Brown Orifice" Is Only The Beginning

"Brown Orifice" Is Only The Beginning
August 10, 2000

Last week security holes were found in Netscape's Java
implementation that allowed it to act as a web server.
Earlier today, a hacker announced that he had found
vulnerabilities in Mozilla M17 that allow it to operate as
a web browser.  And that's just the beginning.

Said "3l337h4x0r", the discoverer of the M17 exploit, "This
is quite a hack!  By manipulating some internal functions,
I was able to use M17 to actually surf the web. Slashdot
and Humorix rendered beautifully."

Mozilla engineers were stunned.  "This shouldn't be
possible. M17 contains a newsreader, a mail client, an
instant messenger client, and a whole bunch of XUL
acronymn-enriched stuff, but it shouldn't be able to handle
HTTP or HTML.  We haven't been planning on adding
web-surfing functionality to Mozilla until M30... maybe M25
at the earliest.  I suspect this whole thing is a hoax."

It doesn't appear to be a hoax, however.  Mr. 3l337h4x0r
demonstrated his hack for us here at Humorix World
Headquarters.  It was quite impressive.  The Slashdot
homepage loaded in about 0.003 seconds, which is a sharp
improvement over Netscape 4.73, which often crashes before
rendering anything.  Said the hacker, "This modified
Mozilla software really kicks butt.  Internet Explorer is
toast."

Exploits have also been discovered in other software
programs during the past week.  By exploiting a series of
holes in the LISP interpreter, it's possible to use Emacs
as a text editor. "Emacs has always made an excellent
kitchen sink," said Reinhard Langer, the discoverer of the
security flaw. "But the only thing that it can't do is edit
text files. Until now."

One GNU project programmer responded, "Wow!  I didn't know
Emacs could be used for things beyond Eliza and Dissociated
Press. And here I've been editing Emacs LISP source code
using vi for all these years..."

Microsoft programs haven't been immune to exploits, either.
An old maxim in the Unix community states, "All programs
expand until they can read mail... except Microsoft
Outlook."  Well, that's no longer true.  By taking
advantage of loopholes in several undocumented APIs, a team
of geeks were able to transform Outlook from a
virus-delivery system into an actual mail client.

"It was quite a feat to accomplish this," said one of the
geeks.  "I mean, the rat's nest that is the Windows API
can  be used to frighten small children... or adults.  And
the frequency by which Outlook exploits are discovered is
directly proportional to the number of times Bill Gates
uses the word 'innovation'.  But this is the first time
somebody has discovered a beneficial exploit."

Microsoft has vowed to release a patch to fix the uncovered
security flaws.  "We simply cannot tolerate unauthorized
reverse engineering and hacking of our innovative
solutions.  Our Security Response Team will pull an
all-nighter to eliminate these known issues."

-
Humorix:      Linux and Open Source(nontm) on a lighter note
Archive:      http://humbolt.nl.linux.org/lists/
Web site:     http://www.i-want-a-website.com/about-linux/