Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:42:48 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>, <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IDE vs. SCSI partition and slice limits

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> [ You're sending mail as root.  Generally that's a bad thing. ]
>
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 16:15:11 -0800, Patrick Thomas wrote:
> >
> > I have discovered, through trial and error, that when using IDE drives in
> > FreeBSD I am limited to 4 slices per drive, and 8 partitions per slice.
> >
> > 1. Is what I just described correct, or was my trial and error flawed ?
>
> That is correct.

For some values of I.  The kernel (on i386's) supports 30 slices per drive.
Some utilities only support 4, but it is easy to create another operating
system's utilities to create more.  In most cases that you need more, they
will be for another operating system and will already have been created.
Then you just use them.

> > 2. Do these exact same limits exist for scsi drives, or are the numbers
> > different (and if so, what are they)
>
> The slice limits are a general PC thing, and the partitions are a
> limitation of the FreeBSD disklabel.

No, the slice limits are arbitrary.  PC's support billions of slices.
The limit of 30 is related to the first power of 2 that is strictly
larger than what was thought to be the corresponding arbitrary limit
on the number of "slices" supported in MSDOS and Linux.  This was tested
using MSDOS fdisk to create logical drives C: through Z:.  IIRC, MSDOS
fdisk wouldn't create any drives after Z:, but someone said that MSDOS
supports undocumented drives that can be named using ASCII characters
after Z.

Bruce