Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:32:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        "Kent S. Gordon" <kgor@inetspace.com>
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do you increase available SYSV shared memory?

On 18-Mar-98 Kent S. Gordon wrote:

> I have been thinking of changing Postgres to use mmapped files instead
> of SYSV shared memory.  I think this should allow for larger postgres

This will be a disaster.  It assumes that PostgreSQL uses files for data
storage.  While this is the default mode, it is NOT the only storage
meanager.  In PostgreSQL, like most true RDBMS, the storage of data is
decoupled from the logic of the relational model, etc.  I am building a
storage manager that uses a totally different (distributed) storage model
than Unix files.  A memory based storage manager already exists in
PostgreSQL.  Please do not break these.

Sion