Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:46:56 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        fewtch@serv.net, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Latest discoveries...

On Jun 06, 1998 at 05:06:53PM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> [ ... ]
>
> "&&" would be used for a situation where the command to the (immediate)
> right of the separator should be executed after the left-hand command
> has terminated with a zero return code.  If the left-hand command
> terminates with a non-zero return code, the right-hand command will not
> be executed.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> FAIR WARNING:  Not all commands are well-behaved with respect to
> terminating with return codes that are useful for this type of thing.
> It is usual for different commands to be implemented by different (sets
> of) people for different reasons with different goals.  If you are in
> doubt, test first... and check the documentation, as well, so that even

Yes, I'm aware of the boolean shortcircuit/linking operators, but
the above paragraph is why I tend to shy away from them.  I regularly
use a mixture of at least 4 unix systems (Sequent, Sun, FreeBSD, HPUX),
and the return codes are not exactly what I would call uniform across
the various systems.

My fingers tend to go faster than my brain, so sometimes I would
rattle off a command and then thwap <return> before a slow signal
reached my fingers: "NO, not on _this_ system, you dolt!"

Sigh.

Just call me paranoid.  And this probably isn't a -newbie topic either.
--
Jonathan