Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:47:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dchulhan@uwi.tt (Dale Chulhan - Work)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP

> P: I recently discovered that I now have two dhcp servers in the same
> broadcast domain and I was wondering how I could ensure ( short of splitting
> the BD into two ) that the machines on Floor 1 & 2 get their addresses from
> server1 and from 3 & 4 get theirs from server2

Put a router between them.  You will still get the addresses assigned
by the other, if you are running a DHCP forwarder, in the case that
the first one goes down.  If you don't want this feature, don't
run the broadcast forwarder (which will only forward on second and
subsequent requests, as long as your request packets aren't malformed).

DHCP was never meant to be constrained by "workgroup" type
semantics (e.g. where you have a fictional boundary instead of
an actual network broadcast boundary, like a router).  The
problem is communicating the current lease-list between the
failed machine and the machine doing the takeover.  Doing
simple broadcast snoops is not sufficient for this task.

Ideally, you would install IPv6, and do IPv6 stateless
autoconfiguration, and turn off your DHCP servers.

If you are running a network behind a NAT, and can live with a
clas C (in "link.local"), then you could use IPv4 stateless
autoconfiguration (supported by Windows 98 and above) to just
grab addresses for your workstations.

Unfortunately, unlike all recent Macintosh machines, Windows
does not ship with SLPv2 (Service Location Protocol) support,
so locating your default DNS server and default route will
be problematic, without DHCP, or static configuration of some
of your workstation settings.

If your workstations are FreeBSD boxes, turn on RIP (internally
only), and you'll have no problem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---