Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:51:12 -0500
From:      "Doug Poland" <dpoland@execpc.com>
To:        "ListServer FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   fetching ports through a firewall

Greetings,

I must first say that the ports collection is a fine piece
of work.  It allows novices like me to install software
that I couldn't possibly do from scratch.  Now my problem...

I'm stuck behind a Novell firewall.  Fortunately, I finally
have access to the ftp proxy server but cannot figure out
how to modify the Makefile or /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.ports.mk
to get fetching to work.

I must always ftp to the proxy server, then enter an
NDS user followed by ftp user followed by ftp site.
Then NDS password followed by ftp password.  Here's
an example..

host% ftp 10.10.10.1
Connected to 10.10.10.1.
220 Service Ready
Name (10.10.10.1:djp): ftpuser.wiapp.nrc$anonymous$ftp.freebsd.org
331 Guest login ok, send your email address as password.
Password: ndsPasswd$dpoland@execpc.com

Consequently, every site I connect to will be 10.10.10.1 with
the ftp user name determining the actual ftp location.

I've searched the mail archives, handbook, diary, and man
pages on how to do this but have come up empty.

--
Doug Poland
dpoland@execpc.com