Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:25:00 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tell the world about Year 2000 Compliance

> > Seriously, almost all unix programs store times/date as milliseconds
> > since 1970, so they don't have a Y2K problem, but they have the Year
> > 2038 problem.  However, it's hoped that by the time this comes about the
> > number used to store the time will be bumped to a much bigger #, making
> > the problem go away.
>
> Yes, but what about packages and apps which get installed as the default
> system which don't do this ?

They aren't FreeBSD.  They are ports and packages, and there simply
isn't the resource available to certify each and every package.  If the
package affects you, then certify it yourself and tell the world.  For
all the packages that I'm interested in (mostly development tools),
there is no issue.  And, the OS and system utilities have no Y2K
problems (cvs/rcs did, but I believe they've been updated), so it's not
an issue for the OS.

Nate