Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2012 19:00:24 GMT
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/166262: [syscons] syscons issue on DN2800MT

The following reply was made to PR kern/166262; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Cc: frankreppin@googlemail.com
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:55:10 -0400

 > Hellos and thankyou for looking into this PR!
 >
 > On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Jung-uk Kim <jkim@freebsd.org>
 wrote:
 > > Hmm...  It seems these platforms don't fully initialize VGA
 > > registers.  According to the product pages, this board has "Intel
 > > Fast Boot Technology", which sounds like "we don't care about
 > > legacy VGA modes any more" to me. ;-)
 > well - when attempting to boot from the memstick images I can
 > clearly see everything - the whole 'BTX loader' stuff and everything
 > up to and until the 'Welcome to FreeBSD' boot menu. Up to this point
 > everything looks really ok. The 'messed up display' starts right
 > after pressing '1' to boot.
 >
 > Shouldn't it show the 'BTX loader' stuff garbled as well then if
 > they don't care about legacy VGA modes then?

 I am not so sure about that.  FYI, BTX uses BIOS int 10h calls and
 kernel directly accesses VGA hardware and memory.

 > > I saw Intel's video presentation on YouTube and it showed a BIOS
 > > option to disable "Fast Boot" from Boot menu. Try to disable it if
 > > you have something similar, especially "Video Optimization" or
 > > something.
 > Just re-checked on this. Those boot options are 'disabled' by
 > default (and disabled as well in my setup).

 Okay.

 > According to the inline BIOS help they won't do any magic beside not
 > showing the fancy Intel logo graphic.

 Maybe you do not have the BIOS that I saw from YouTube
 presentation. :-(

 > They too state clearly there that this won't affect capabilities
 > when it comes to boot the OS.

 Which OS?  MS Windows? ;-)

 > There aren't any more video optimization inside the BIOS.

 I see.

 > Please let me know if I can be of help to get this sorted.

 Sorry, there is something strange going on with writing to video
 memory.  That's all I can say ATM. :-/

 Jung-uk Kim