Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:33:15 -0700
From:      "Patrick Soltani" <psoltani@ultradns.com>
To:        "Fabio Miranda Hamburger" <fabmirha@ns.isi.ulatina.ac.cr>, <FreeBsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: honest question.

>Hi, I have been using freebsd since 3,0-release, but now I have a dell
>inspiron 2650 laptop with dual xp and fbsd.
>What I want to do is install freebsd using whole harddisk and install
>vmware and run windoze xp for multimedia stuff.
>The problem is Xfree86 just support 24 bit color quality, and=20
>vmware under
>freebsd is still bogus, the apm feature doesnt work.

Did you add the following line in your kernel file?
device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management

Any specific errors/behavior? or Did you try the bios to disable the =
power management?

I don't have the your make and model laptop, but been very successful in =
doing apm on many machines, even when XP says "now you can turn the =
computer off" after issuing shutdown :-).

Each laptop has slightly different attitude towards power management, =
but I am sure you'd be able to find some help on the freebsd mailing =
list and/or "googling" it.

>Okey, to be honest i like freebsd but I am affraid freebsd is=20
>not an ideal
>os for a laptop.
>What u guys think?
>I dont like linux, but I am forced to switch, what u think?

Have you updated the /usr/ports?  Although Xfree86 is not as simple as =
it should be, however, have had very little problem with compiling it =
from source or installing it from CD.

What has worked for me is "portupgrade" that automatically upgrades my =
ports with little hassle.

Regards,
Patrick Soltani.