Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 2021 09:32:48 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs q regarding backup strategy

On 10/3/21 1:21 AM, tech-lists wrote:

> A month (30 days) later someone looks for file 2 as it was on day 1, and
> it's not the one they expected on the source. So I have to get it from
> the backup somehow. In order to do this, and given that when I'm looking
> for this I might not know *when* file 2 was deleted from the source, then
> changed and then added

To me, it looks like what you're looking for is a backup system that
keeps track of all these files in a database (e.g. sysutils/bacula).
Problem is, you're not using ZFS snapshots, then.

> do I have to keep every single snapshot?

Yes, for sure.

> If this is the case, then how can I scan through the snapshots
> looking for the right file? there may be thousands of snapshots.

Perhaps something like:
find /{mountpoint}/.zfs/snapshot/ -name "{filename}" ...

> Or can I incorporate or expire the snapshots into the full backup and
> tell it that I want to look back to day 1 and retreive file 2?

Not as far as I know.

  bye
	av.