Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 21:55:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joshua Lackey <jl@noether.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hidden files question

Possible you had ``ls'' replaced with a version that hides files.  You may
try ``find /var -name "*" -print'' as I've found that script-jockies will
replace ``ls'' but forget other similar programs.  Best thing to do is to
get a known good copy of ``ls'' and look at the directory.  You may also
want to reboot and then go into single-user mode to make sure no lkm's are
hiding things from you.

Samba has had some problems in the past (if I remember correctly.)

It's painful, but you're going to have to reinstall.  Look into tripwire
so you don't have to do it again.

Josh.

jl@noether.uoregon.edu