Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:41:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Ken Marx <kmarx@bigshed.com>
Subject:   Re: Lost interrupts in snd0 ?

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Randall Hopper wrote:

> Conrad Sabatier:
>  |Randall Hopper wrote:
>  |> 2) I also see much longer skips with mtv (the same mtv executable and
>  |> same MPEG streams) than I did with 3.4R.  It behaves like some bad
>  |> changes were made to the SNDCTL_DSP_GETOSPACE or related buffer-query
>  |> calls.
>  |Same here.  Only in my most recent 3.4-STABLE build have I ever gotten
>  |the infamous "DMA timeout - IRQ/DRQ config error?" message with my AWE 64.
>  |Also still seeing some chop, after reverting back from 4.0, but with a new
>  |cvsup of 3.4-STABLE.  Apparently, the changes to the sound drivers were
>  |fairly recent, as my previous STABLE kernel, built around Mar 8 or so, had
>  |no such problems.
>
> Interesting.  Thanks for letting me know.  I'd love to know what the patch
> that did it was.  I plan to diff sources after I make it through this
> semester and get back up to 3.2-R levels.
>
> Also, I've never supped CVS so I'm a little leary of doing that.  Is this
> recommended for someone with a pixie-straw connection to the net (56k modem)?
> Or just the fat pipe folks.

Randall, the thinner your pipe, the more you want cvsup.  I tell you right
now, you will be completely amazed at how fast it goes.  I have only a
33.6, and I usually cvsup in less than 6 minutes.  Hows that?

Seriously, go get your feet wet!

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.