Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:20:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Mikel King <mikel@ocsinternet.com>
Cc:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.biz>, FBSD-ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Webmail App for virtual domains hosting

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Mikel King wrote:

> I know this is rather long after the original, but you really should
> take a look at phpgroupware in the ports...I've been playing with it
> for about a month now...and fankly it's a blast.

	As a side note, I was troubled with the same type of request
	several months back.  I ended up writing a PAM module that does
	a username@domain.com --> unique_id translation out of a Mysql DB.
	The Unique_id is then carried in the password file for use with
	password authentication (also done in the PAM module).

	It also does other things as well, like handling duplicate
	usernames if someone doesn't supply the domain part of the
	username.  So username "paul" and username "paul" could be
	different users (based on password).

	What does this gain you?  Well, it allows any program that uses
	this PAM module to authenticate username@domain combos instead of
	keeping proprietary mappings for each service that needs this
	functionailty.

	I currently have FTP/IMAP/POP/Radius all using this module to
	handle authentication.  We use this as the core of our WHolesale
	ISP business (all powered by FreeBSD of course). It's currently
	handling requests for about 10-15K users.

	As far as our webmail, I added squirrelmail for the webmail
	client.  Since it uses PHP which in turn uses the cclient
	libraries (to access the mailbox) which in turn uses PAM, it works
	like a charm.

	I plan on moving this out into the ports collection once I get the
	documentation and code cleaned up a bit.  It will be called
	pam-vuser.

	If anybody is interested in more detail, please let me know.

> Cheers,
> Mikel
>
> Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
> >Hello people,
> >
> >I am stuck here trying to find an app that is relatively easy to setup ;-)
> >
> >I have a couple virtual domains whose owners are making me scratch my head
> >bald.
> >
> >Users authenticate via MySQL db and the mail is stored in mbox format in
> >/var/spool/virtual/$domain.name/$user
> >
> >I am currently using tpop3d which I am happy with so far.
> >
> >I am basically looking for a webmail app with a few basic qualities:
> >
> >1. Can auth via MySQL by taking username@domain as login name
> >2. Can display sent mail separately from the inbox
> >3. Can handle attachments
> >
> >I've looked at a couple of opts but now I just seem lost!
> >

> >Thanks in advance for your advise.
> >

> >-Wash

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Don't mind me...I'm just sniffing your packets