Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 01:26:41 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Alexander A. Radunsky" <shurick@zenon.net>
To:        AJ de Jesus-Puyat <ajpuyat@globe.com.ph>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: OT: x-terminals

On 17-Aug-00 AJ de Jesus-Puyat wrote:

Good $Greetings_time,

> I have a project coming up. Can anybody point me in the right direction. It
> has to deal with a freebsd client-server set-up. we have one server P3,
> 256mb, 9.1 scsi hdd. And connected to this server are 20 or more PC units
> without hard drives. Our principal wants to utilize the hdd-less computers
> by booting from a bootrom or floppy, getting the graphics information from
> the server. how do you set-up this kind of configuraion? what software
> should use (other than the OS). Is there a picobsd that can be made into a
> graphics terminal?

You can use the netboot toolkit by Gero Kuhlmann which can be found in the
ports collection or at http://www.han.de/~gero/netboot/ for making bootroms to
perform booting through network. For this you'll need none of the additional
software except real-mode packet drivers for your NIC's in a diskless clients.
And you'll need EPROM burner. Picobsd isn't essential because by this way you
not will be limited to fit the whole working system to the single boot image.
You also can use floppy drive for booting, but it's slow, non-reliable and
ugly. Just boot with bootp/tftp then mount nfs and launch X clients.

--
Alexander A. Radunsky   AR8-RIPN  AAR2-RIPE
Zenon N.S.P. Moscow, Russia  http://www.zenon.ru/