Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 16:34:37 -0600
From:      Geoff Lassner <geoff@mutant.clue.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   no sound with xaudio or rplay on Soundblaster Vibra16X

a 486/66DX running FreeBSD 3.2 with a soundblaster Vibra16X

I have got sound partially (?) working using the pcm drivers...

I setup the config for it like so:

1) added this line to /boot/loader.rc:
   load -t userconfig_script /boot/userconfig
2) created the file /boot/userconfig with one line in it:
   pnp 1 0 os enable irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5 port0 0x220 port1 0x330 port2 0x388
3) created the snd1 device:
   cd /dev
   ./MAKEDEV snd1

What is happening is I can play sound via:
cat foo.au > /dev/audio

Unfortunately I cannot play any wav's with rplay or listen to
any mp3's with xaudio.  rplay gives no error messages and does
not play any sound. xaudio plays no sound and has an error message
after breaking out with control-C:

timeout flushing dbuf_out, chan 1 cnt 0xff00 flags 0x000001c1

I don't know if this is related to the problem or if it is benign

I have tried adjusting the volume with the mixer command:
mixer pcm 100

but still no sound...

I am stumped, if anyone can let me know of anything that will help
test or get this thing working please let me know!

sndstat gives:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (981001) Jul  7 1999 00:08:07
Installed devices:
pcm1: <Soundblaster 16 4.16> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1:5
sequencer1: <???> at 0x388 (not functional)

(If anyone can also help me with this sequencer error that would be great
too)

Thank You,
Geoffrey