Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 06:16:46 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Question about Motif packages

>I have a question to you guys who have Motif.
>
>(1) Where do they install the libraries and include files?  Are there
>    any packages that install them outside /usr/X11R6?

SWiM 2.0 makes you set a link from /usr/X386 to /usr/X11R6.  It then uses
/usr/X386 in its Install script.  The static libraries and include files
then get installed in /usr/X386/lib and /usr/X386/include respectively.
This is fine.  But the provided install script also wants to install the
shared libraries in /lib; I changed this to be the same as the static libs
(/usr/X386/lib = /usr/X11R6/lib).  The Install script has a couple of
minor bugs that are easily fixed.

>(2) What is the imake support like?  Do they leave "xmkmf" alone,
>    providing an extra "mxmkmf" or do they clobber lib/X11/config/* to
>    the state that "xmkmf" isn't the same anymore?
>
>    Specifically, do you think patching the Imakefile to include
>    "-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXm" or "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a" depending on
>    whether the binary is to be built dynamic or static should
>    suffice?

Patching the LOCAL_LIBRARIES to "-lXm -lXt -lX11 -lXext" or to
"/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a -lXt -lX11 -lXext" for dynamic or static should
work fine.

>    The "patching Imakefile" part is important, because that can be
>    done during the patch stage -- we can't patch the resulting
>    Makefile without hacking the ports build mechanism quite a bit.

SWiM 2.0 does leave xmkmf alone and does provide a mxmkmf.  They update
the lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl and save the original Imake.tmpl in
Imake.tmpl.old

Do you want the unpatched Install script for SWiM 2.0?

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org