Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 2004 23:09:54 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Phil Schulz" <ph.schulz@gmx.de>, <chat@freebsd.org>
Cc:        TM4525@aol.com
Subject:   RE: GPL vs BSD Licence

It is.  It is the stated policy of the FSF that loadable kernel modules
are considered part of the GPL work and therefore must be GPL'ed
themselves.  That is where all this is coming from.  It is kind of
a personal vendetta/issue with RMS I understand.  This position has
also created lots of controversy as you might imagine.

>   But then, I'm not sure (and I mean it) if there can be any piece of
> software which, if designed for e.g. Linux, can be written w/o using any
> system headers, libraries or whatsoever.

They make an exception for libraries with the LGPL license.  Certain
ones, only, however.

All this is discussed on the FSF website, by the way.

Ted