Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 00:15:16 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Boris Tyshkiewitch <bvt@mp.aha.ru>
To:        andre@pipeline.ch (IBS / Andre Oppermann)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proxy-Server

> For a HTTP and FTP proxy server for 1000 more or less simultanious
> users:
>
> - PPro-200, 128MB RAM
              ^^^^  256 or more.

> - 3GB System Disk
> - 2x8GB UW-SCSI striped with ccd, what ccd settings do you recommend?

    4x4Gb,

    striping not needed. squid works good across multiple drives.

> - Adaptec 2940UW

  2 Adaptecs or 3940

> - 100Mbit fxp card
> - FreeBSD 2.2.5(6)-STABLE, kernel tuning? (memmax up to 128)

  as ordinaly server. memmax to 256 or mode. nmbclusters to 6000.

> - Squid cache

  don't use novm version, its crashes regulary.
  get extra memory and install ordinary (VM cache) version.

  1.1.19 works good. I had 50-60 days uptime for squid.

Boris.