Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:00:28 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        Nick <nmanisca@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange problem

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 11:18:04PM -0500, Nick wrote:
> Running 4.0-RELEASE on an AlphaStation 200.
> As a regular user, if I copy /kernel to say /tmp/
> the cp command never returns.  Then the system will
> not service any disk request... It looks like any
> disk reads just hang...

Ich have had Problems with two disks.
They showed as timed out while idle afer some time of hanging - usually a
drive fault.
That happened with both drives and I checked cabeling very often.
Another point is that I got proccessor corected errors from time to time.

Yesterday I changed my 2940uw to a 895 based card and both problems were gone.

This was on a PC164 board using current up to 5.0 from 13th March.

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
ticso@cicely.de             Usergroup                info@cosmo-project.de