Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:05:58 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SoC Project: Ports 2.0 engine

--------------enig2C99055F663D60B4723A4995

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> School ate any free time I had to work on ports 2.0.   For this reason =
I=20
> would like to find some way to make it a Summer of Code project.  Kip=20
> Macy has provisionally agreed to mentor it if a) it is approved by=20
> Google and FreeBSD, b) No one more qualified steps forward.
>=20
> Project goals (SoC portion):
>=20
>    1. Impliment beta quality version of the engine (see "Recursive Make=
=20
> Considered Harmful" for main points)

I can't find the post with this title, but I think I get what you mean :)=

>    2. Use the engine to build xorg and all ports it depends on
>=20
>    3. Creation of compatibility layer
>=20
> What do people think and should I proceed with submitting a application=
=20
> to Google?

Go for it :)

I'd like to suggest two of the major features that a new ports system=20
should have:

- reliability (almost in the database "ACID" sense; for example that no=20
half-registered packages are created by issuing Ctrl-C in a critical mome=
nt)
- parallel builds of as much as possible; at least parallel builds of=20
independent dependencies and if possible also of ports themselves=20
(probably by adding an opt-in flag in Makefile to signal if the port=20
supports "make -j" for its build phase).

The first one can be solved by rolling your own system which carefully=20
juggles atomic operations and locks or by using an already present=20
solution like sqlite.