Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 2003 16:43:44 -0400
From:      mj001 <mj001@rogers.com>
To:        Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: live BSD

Olaf Hoyer wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, HOFER Klemens wrote:
>

>>hi,
>>I am new to FreeBSD. Actually I am using Linux.
>>There´s a good Live Linux System called "Knoppix" which only runs from CDROM and so you could become familiar with the system without having to install it on your Harddisk.
>>Is there something similar available under FreeBSD?
>

> Well, there are some projects that do similar things, like
> www.freesbie.org, and the german freeX Mag also has done a similar CD.
> (In the book: FreeBSD 5 it is included, www.cul.de)
>
> But the best way to check out how it works is always
> first-hand-experience, I always used a spare drive (needs to only have 3
> GB) to install, also with X11.
>
> Knoppix is way better maintained than those FreeBSD-based Live systems,
> especially when it comes to X11 apps.
>
> Just my 0.02 EUR
> Olaf

Despite being a long time FreeBSD enthusiast, I tried Knoppix
recently, and was very impressed.  It found a network connection
with no input from me at all, and it was very easy to get a
flash drive to work.  The full KDE and OpenOffice environment
works very well.  A great piece of work that may do a lot
to advance the cause of open software.