Date:      Mon, 05 Aug 1996 14:27:53 +0200
From:      Gunter Loos <Gul@ngonet.be>
To:        "Isp Questions @ FreeBSD" <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   YP in a specific situation:

I'm currently running the 2.1.0 - Release  on a demilitarized zone as a firewall.
Alas, I'm also forced to use this one as the main dial-up server. This means
it has a _lot_ of accounts on it, shadow passwords of course. Only ppp connections
are run from here, happily enough no shells.

All the mail-accounts however are situated on a linux 2.0.0 server on the same
network. Accounts are made here, using the standard /etc/passwd file, and
/etc/aliases for pop-names.

Now my question is: how can I seemlessly introduce NIS on the two machines, making
it possible for everyone to dial in, but having easier administration? Currently
I have to create each user twice.

So:
	o	which NIS should I use?
	o	how can I keep the password files, thus not recreating all the users?

Thanks in advance,
Gul.
--
  .    .__    . |Nationaal Centrum voor OntwikkelingsSamenwerking vzw, NgoNet
 _| _  [ __   | |Voice    Gunter.Loos@+32 2 5392620       Fax   +32 2 5391343