Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 23:30:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ES1370 + ncr PCI SCSI

> Now, that is interesting. For me, "tosha -o - | pcmplay -" sooner or
> later hangs my sound card. No more sound, further writes to /dev/audio
> block after apparently filling a ~120kB buffer.

I could live with sound gone, but with disks gone the system hangs.. :)

> - Soundblaster PCI 64
>   (which I gather is a relabeled Ensoniq Audio PCI)

Not quite. The PCI 128 is supposed to be closest to the original Audio PCI.

The Ensoniq PCI cards consist of two chips, a controler chip (ES 1370, 1371)
and a digital to analog converter (DAC) chip.

AFAIK does the PCI 64 use a cheaper DAC than the PCI 128 and the orginial AudioPCI.

ES 1371 are a different story, they seem to be able to use an even wider range
of DACs that have to comply to some Intel spec.

Hmm.. still don't know if it is hardware or driver related.
Stefan Esser (an expert on FreeBSD's PCI architecture whom I bugged about this
problem) conjectures that the ES1370 driver is a bit too possessive regarding the
bus resources.

The only fishy thing in my system I can imagine is that I run 192 MB RAM on a
Gigabyte S2 board that has cache tag RAM for only 128 MB.

Regards,
Marc