Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2023 16:07:41 -0600
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@FreeBSD.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I am sick and tired of the poor quality of documentation on FreeBSD

On 11/21/23 15:10, iio7@tutanota.com wrote:

>> Nov 21, 2023, 21:30 by steve@sohara.org:
>>

>>> You did of course read the release notes right ? The rather good
>>> documentation provided by the FreeBSD project for each new release.
>>> Specifically this section that tells you exactly what to do and why.
>>>
>>> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/14.0R/relnotes/#upgrade
>>>
>>> Documentation is only useful if you read it! BEFORE you do things.

>>> It's a warning not documentation, heeding it could have saved you
>>> much trouble.

>>> It seems pretty clear that you should make sure you understand it
>>> and do what is necessary *before* you reboot. The boot code is (as the name
>>> implies) the code used to boot the system which has to be able to read the
>>> filesystem containing the OS, which it can't if that filesystem has been
>>> updated with features that the existing boot code does not support.

>>> If you had read the release notes you would know what to do, and
>>> surely the name "boot code" is sufficiently descriptive as to what it is.

>>> AND rebooting without updating the boot code right ?

>>> Now you're going to need this article in the forums which a search
>>> would have found for you in a few seconds:
>>>
>>> <https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/upgrade-14-relase-root-on-zfs-reboot-before-update-boot-code-and-stuck-at-efi-shell.91035/>;
>>>
>>> You might want to thank T-Aoki and note the rather more polite way
>>> someone else who got themselves into this mess asked for help.
>>>

> The release engineering and related documentation suck as usual. Polite my ass. I have had it.
>
> I have been on FreeBSD for more than 20 years and always have to deal with shitload of problems on this operating system ONLY due to the lack of documentation.
>
> I read the man pages, I read the forum post, which doesn't help shit when the next crap you run into is this:
>
>    ZFS: unsupported feature: com.klarasystems:vdev_zaps_vs
>
> Nothing should break this bad during a simple upgrade and then have the guy responsible for the documentation to make a fucking blog post about the missing documentation on the website:

You didn't do the complete upgrade because you failed to read the
release notes, as noted a couple of times so far.  You might have missed
the part where you're upgrading major versions, where stuff like the
above *does* happen and that's why you have to actually read the
material presented to you that's discussing what's changed.

We can't stop you from shooting yourself in the foot when it's so
clearly written right there what to do on a UEFI system where it's less
straightforward, and given your apparent years of experience there's no
way you haven't had to deal with a gpart-bootcode update that hasn't
changed in any material fashion in years.

I'm not going to bother responding to the rest, because you seem to have
some strong wrong opinions about who does what on the project and how
source trees work.