Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:46:13 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Chern Lee <chern@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        murray@freebsd.org, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking chapter.sgml doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/contrib chapter.sgml doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install chapter.sgml doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/introduction chapter.sgml doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelopts chapter.sgml doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu chapter.sgml ...

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:51:34 MST, Chern Lee wrote:

>   Log:
>   Remove smileys/emoticons as discussed in -doc to give the handbook a more
>   formal look.

All well and good, but you can't just remove smilies without first
making sure that the document reads as intended without them.  There's
at least one example that I saw (before I stopped my post-mortem review
and started with this e-mail) where you've damaged the intended meaning
of the text:

       <para>So why is it sometimes called <quote>Linux
emulation</quote>?
-       To make it hard to sell FreeBSD!  <!-- smiley -->8-).  Really, it
+       To make it hard to sell FreeBSD!  Really, it
        is because the historical implementation

Without the smiley, the reader now finds it more difficult to deduce
that you're joking.

I'm not saying the smilies shouldn't go.  I'm saying that removing them
isn't as simple as you may at first have thought it would be.

Ciao,
Sheldon.