Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:30:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      mike@seidata.com
To:        Joe Schwartz <rjoe@sierrahill.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: virtual hosting  &  sendmail

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Joe Schwartz wrote:

> info@domain3.com

/etc/usmasq to 'masq' virtual domain names over yours (i.e. if my
email is me@yourdomain.com, use an entry in /etc/usmasq to make
my address me@mydomain.com).  /etc/virtusertable to direct 'virtual
user' mail to a designated account (i.e. info@mydomain.com really goes
to me@yourdomain.com).

> I'm looking at sendmail's virtual hosting tutorial and am getting
> complaints from 'makemap' when I tried to make the 'virtusertable'.

Does a 'grep virt /etc/sendmail.cf' turn up the following:

Kvirtuser hash /etc/virtusertable
R$+ < @ $=w . >         $: < $(virtuser $1 @ $2 $@ $1 $: @ $) > $1 < @
$2 . >
R< @ > $+ < @ $+ . >    $: < $(virtuser @ $2 $@ $1 $: @ $) > $1 < @ $2
. >

Also, did you do a 'makemap hash' on virtusertable?  I have a script
in /etc called makemasq that creates the *.db files for me:

#!/bin/sh
makemap hash /etc/usmasq < /etc/usmasq
makemap hash /etc/virtusertable < /etc/virtusertable
#makemap hash /etc/domaintable < /etc/domaintable

> Is this the right direction to pursue or is there a prefered technique
> I should work on?

It should work - it does for ~200 domains here.  Also, add the proper
entries to sendmail.cw (i.e. add an entry for each domain you host,
such as 'mydomain.com').

Later,

	-mike