Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:09:39 -0500
From:      William McVey <wam@sa.fedex.com>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Newbie question on i4b: Does it work in the US?

I've done a brief scan through the i4b documentation but couldn't
find a conclusive answer to whether or not the i4b drivers will
solve my need.  I have an ISDN line connected to via an NT1 (National
Telecom) switch in Memphis TN, US.  I have a 3COM/USR Sportster
ISDN card and I plan on upgrading my FreeBSD system to the recently
release 3.0-release (although this isn't absolutly necessary).  I
would like to connect to NT RAS boxes (bletch) as well as Ascend
ISDN boxes which are running generic PPP over ISDN.  Additionally,
it would be ideal if I could use one B channel to keep a semi-permanent
connection to an internet ISP, for my home network access. I would
like to use the other B channel to connect to work as needed, and
when not in use to connect to work, it'd be nice to be able to bond
to the other channel to the ISP.  Currently I have to boot to
Windows when I need to use ISDN (double bletch) and it only accepts
one remote connection at a time.

>From my brief review of the documentation, it appeared that the
i4b package appears to be focused on the European ISDN standards.
This impression of mine has been reenforced by the fact that most
of the email addresses I've seen coming across this list appear to
be of European orgin.  I know the NT1 switch is listed as being
supported, but I didn't know if there were other differences between
European ISDN and US ISDN that would cause problems.  I was hoping
someone on this list could conclusivly state one way or the other
whether what I'm hoping to do is currently possible.

 -- William

P.S.  I know this is probably a newbie type of question, but I did
"lurk" on the mailing list for a while and have done some search against
the mailing list archives and didn't find any hits which answered this
question.