Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:48:23 +0100
From:      Alex Moore <alex.moore@eu.citrix.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Possible bug in FreeBSD Boot Manager on 4.1?

Setup:
2x 450Mhz Processors
1x Compaq Smart Array Controller 221 (v3.22)
2x 9.1 GB - Mirrored
FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE

Hi,

I have the above system.  I first tried to install 4.0.  This booted with
the Boot Manager menu, pressing F1 loaded the BTX Loader stage.  At this
point it failed to load the kernel stating "no bootable kernel".  After
playing around with it for a time and after managing to get hold of 4.1 CD's
I installed 4.1.

The 4.1 boot manager produced some VERY strange results.  Not booting at all
(just a flashing cursor), a constant beep, the compaq error "601 - Diskette
Controller Error", spontaneous reboots are all results that were seen on
booting the machine, and in no particular order.  As a sanity check that
there had been no hardware faults I installed 4.0 again.  This had the same
original problem of not being able to boot the kernel....but did get the BTX
Loader, so it wasn't a hardware fault.  My next thought was that if I could
get the Boot Manager to work in 4.0 then maybe I should install 4.1 onto the
system without touching the MBR, thus leaving the 4.0 Boot Manager on the
system...this worked! I booted the system and it got the 4.1 BTX Loader.

My final step was to install 4.1 from scratch...but to install a "Standard
MBR" rather than the FreeBSD boot manger.  This too worked.  So my
conclusion is that the FreeBSD Boot Manager in 4.1-RELEASE does not work on
the above hardware.

Can anyone confirm this? Is this a known problem?

Thanks in advance,
--
Alex Moore
EMEA Production Services