Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:24:18 -0600
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Remko Lodder <remko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of /etc/skel, your opinions please

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 10:21:06PM +0100, Remko Lodder wrote:
>=20
> Dear arch@ members,
>=20
> I would like to remove /etc/skel from the BSD.root.dist mtree file
> since it is no longer being used and I would like to remove unused
> items.
>=20
> I understood from a PR  (46062) that there are no references to this
> directory any longer. There is a proposal to symlink this; but I dont
> want to keep this alive at all where possible..
>=20
> Does anyone have objections to this change? If so, please let me know
> why you have these objections so that I can take them into account.
>=20
> Thanks in advance for your time!

After reading this I did some searching and was rather surprised to
discover that adduser(8) points pw at /usr/share/skel by default.
I've always thought of /etc/skel as the default location for skel
files.  It's true we're not populating /etc/skel by default, but
/usr/share/skel isn't actually usable in production since it's
overwritten by installworld.

I don't see any value in removing the directory from mtree.

-- Brooks

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl--