Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:38:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter v. ipfw

My earlier question seems to have been lost amidst the debate about
ipfilter vs. ipfw, so please forgive my restating it.

I have a kernel (4.1-RELEASE) with both IPFIREWALL and IPFILTER support
enabled.  However, I am currently using only "ipfw" commands to set up
my firewall; I'm not using any "ipf" commands at all.

Is there any reason to expect a system configured in this way will be
inherently unstable, simply because both firewall schemes have been
included in the kernel, even though only one of them is being used?

Perhaps I'll end up taking out the IPFILTER kernel support, just on
principle, but I feel the question is still worth asking.

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/