Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 05:00:49 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Coidan_Sm=F8?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jasone@canonware.com, smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com
Subject:   Re: Microsoft's breaches of contract (was: FBSD license and   multiple copyright holders)
References:  <grog@lemis.com>  <rx4ogv71jwn.fsf@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>  <199807040703.BAA02533@softweyr.com>  <19980704165817.D358@freebie.lemis.com>  <980704165941.ZM2483@darkstar.connect.com>  <19980705102445.L358@freebie.lemis.com>  <199807110349.VAA28411@lariat.lariat.org>  <xzphg0o1a1n.fsf@hrotti.ifi.uio.no>  <980712035135.ZM14948@darkstar.connect.com>  <19980712134913.A635@freebie.lemis.com>

On Jul 12,  1:49pm, Greg Lehey wrote:
> Subject: Re: Microsoft's breaches of contract (was: FBSD license and   mul
> On Sunday, 12 July 1998 at  3:51:35 +0000, Frank Pawlak wrote:
> > On Jul 11,  9:07pm, Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav wrote:
> >> If you check the ftp(1) code (/usr/src/usr/bin/ftp/) you'll see it
> >> uses the old-style four-clause BSD copyright, which requires all
> >> advertising material for software derived from BSD-licensed code to
> >> include the mention "This product includes software developed by the
> >> University of California, Berkeley and its contributors."
> >>
> >> Obviously, they're not doing it. Equally obviously, nobody so far has
> >> had the balls to challenge this practice.
> >
> > Are you absolutely sure that your information is correct?  Can you provide
the
> > goods to prove that this is true?  I would love to get that in front of the
> > Wisconsin Attorney General and my congressman.  You may not have one to
write
> > to, but I would be more than happy to write mine as your proxy. ;-)  I hate
M$
> > so much that I would be very happy to pass this on, but I need to be sure
that
> > it is correct.  Don't want to look like a horse's ass.
>
> Before you get carried away, consider two other cases in point:

Don't intend to get carried away with this.

> 1.  During the UNIX wars, USL was found to have used BSD code without
>     appropriate acknowledgement--exactly the same situation as we're
>     talking about.  The matter, along with the BSD camp's alleged
>     abuse of AT&T source, was settled out of court.  I still don't see
>     the acknowledgements, for example on the Free UnixWare CD I got a
>     while back.

I am under the impression that the terms of this settlement were never made
public, is that true.

> 2.  Microsoft licensed Java from Sun and then broke the terms of the
>     license.  Despite its relevance to the Internet Exploder business,
>     the courts apparently ignored the problem, though it could have
>     been grounds for prohibiting the propagation of the product in
>     that form.

The Sun vs. Microsoft case is due in court in September, so, I don't believe
that the courts have taken any action on this issue.  To the best of my
knowledge the only case the courts have heard was to the DOJ case on the
injunction against M$ regarding the bundling of IE with windows.  This issues
was up-held by a lower court and recently overturned by a higher court.

I would agree that this should never have been overturned.  IE at this point is
clearly not a part of the OS.  From what I've read the DOJ had some pretty bad
experts testifying on this.  In my mind the real issue is M$'s mis-use of their
monoply power in system software and apps.  The question is how far the DOJ
will press that issue.  There is a lot of FUD going around regarding the future
of the US software industry if M$ gets spanked.  IMHO, if they are left with
business as usual, the only future is Redmond, and who needs that crap.

Frank